Theatre & Films Productions

Fibre to the Home internet connection in Mauritius

Currently everybody knows the poor quality of internet bandwidth in Mauritius. The major Internet Service Providers are:

• Mauritius Telecom (Orange)
  • Emtel
  • MTML
  • Nomad
  • Data Communications Ltd (DCL)

Recently, there is a new ISP called Bharat Telecom who got its licence last year (Aug. 2011) which made an official Communique:

Bharat Telecom Ltd, holder of an ISP Licence, hereby notifies the public of the start of its commercial operations on 1st Oct. 2012.

The following Fibre to Home (FTTH) services will be offered to residential users of up to 10Mbps.

Bharat Telecom Mauritius Prices

** Prices are inclusive of VAT and rental charges (CEB Access Fee).

Corporate Packages will also be offered. More information is available on www.bees.mu or by calling us on 404 6400.

From the Corporate Website of Bharat Telecom Ltd btl.mu, the main competitive advantage of this new ISP lies in: BTL has the vision to connect every home and office in the country with a fibre network.

fiber optics internet mauritiusWhen I was doing my Cisco Certified Network Associate Course, I had been introduced with Fiber optic communications. Such type of communication is superior than the current copper wire communications as it consists of  transmitting information from one place to another by sending pulses of light through an optical fiber. The light forms an electromagnetic carrier wave that is modulated to carry information. The picture above shows Fiber-optic lines which  are strands of optically pure glass as thin as a human hair that carry digital information over long distances

During my studies at UoM, I heard that there was one installation of Fiber-optics (connecting the CITS building with Faculty of Agriculture I think). And in a funny incident, a gardener had once destroyed coincidently the cable by digging in the soil whilst working. I don’t know the rest of the story but the administration had a large bill to pay to replace the fiber optic cable!

Concerning Bharat Telecom doing huge investment in Fiber Optics (I thought that Emtel would be the first in providing such services) , that’s a new oxygen for all current unhappy, unsatisfied Internet Subscribers. We will be experiencing Superior Internet Access level with the Bees ‘OptiBox’ as they  are the only current ISP offering up to 10 Mbps for home plans.

With their subscription format, I think, there will be no time bound contract between Bharat Telecom and the new subscriber. Hence, one will be  free to stop at any time he/she wishes.

Bharat Telecom’s IPTV service encompassed in the offers will be operational in the coming months at no additional costs. The smallest package comprises of 40 channels + a 2 Mbps internet access service at Rs 280 + 95 (line access) + VAT.

And to conclude, the new ISP is offering to only specific regions till now.  In 2-3 months time, they will spread their network coverage over the island.

Let’s wait and see!!

Advertisements

8 responses

1. Me Eddy TONG SAM

the full list of ISP in mauritius is found at:

You only mentioned the major one. there are lots of corporates ones which are also quite good.

barat unfortunately uses satellite which has 1 sec delay and is conditional on good weather

Eddy

4 October, 2012 at 10:52 am

2. TheGeek

Bharat Telecom n’utilise pas que le satellite. Ils utilisent aussi les câbles sous marins.

4 October, 2012 at 2:03 pm

3. WISE OWL

Seriously do the guys working for btl know about the needs of the Mauritian internet users offering capped 2mb connections and unlimited ones for rip off amounts.Do we now have a gold wire isp.I do not know how icta could have approved such prices when the minister of ict had claimed to make internet a citizen right. yea do the math a 10 mbps connection at RS5819/month for one year you will have your answer.Meanwhile on earth Google has launched gigabit fiber to home users.The marketing dept of btl is a shame don’t they know that Mauritian internet users have video needs,gaming needs,torrent thirst or they think we browse gov.mu sites all day.

5 October, 2012 at 3:53 pm

4. Romeo

The problem is it’s Unlimited. Means we’re still prisoner of Orange or My T. Why not Unlimited for Rs 500 4 Mb. If it’s really suppose to be a Cyber Island

7 November, 2012 at 7:26 pm

5. silthekite

Quite honestly this is unacceptable. I moved here from France 6 months ago, where I used to pay 39.90 Euros/month for an unlimited 100Mb fiber line (check www-k-net.fr), with HD TV, telephone etc.
    As an IT engineer, I can tell you that there is no technical reason why Barhat should limit the bandwidth or charge you that much, other than rip off. Fiberoptic connection have very high capacity (100Mb and more), and if they use the submarine backbone connected to South Africa or Kenya, they would have no problem delivering that, if they were honest. Believe me, I helped build the African fiber network!

24 February, 2013 at 2:06 am

• Hello Silvano from CERN!
      Welcome to my blog
      What i have heard is that they are leasing lines from Emtel/MT to provide Fibre optic connection…something like that, but not sure..
      Anyways, till now, I have not any aggressive marketing campaign for this product…i wonder why…

27 February, 2013 at 8:49 am

6. any updates for this service

26 May, 2015 at 2:00 pm

7. Internet here is miserable -.- i currently have 30MBPS download and 15 MBPS upload speeds but wait its not unlimited it has a quota/ Volume alowance of 75 GB…. Why? Why not unlimited? 75 GB is so small it ends up in barely a week for me 😦 then back to old 5 MBPS until the start of next month while our conterparts on the other side of the world just started to enjoy 1GBPS / 1000MBPS with the new Google fiber technology unfortunately it didn’t expand to Mauritius yet! I just hope that google is going to make a huge step in bringing this even better optical fiber to our tiny island 😀 well actually… >_< Why is Mauritius called a Cyber Island anyway?…with such a poor internet connection throughout the island? Do they even know that we have needs like gaming and watching videos or downloading files… Honestly game files are getting bigger and bigger like sims 4 is a 4-8 GB game its going to take me 2 days to get the game to fully download… And what about youtube? Arent we allowed HD quality videos? And what is sad about this is that… well… i did the math and if im right my friend from canada is paying 2 times less that what we pay for his internet (calculated under same internet speed conditions) and he currently is enjoying 500MBPS down and up speeds 😦 compared to this we are actually nothing… I have have the feeling that the authorities here think that Mauritians have a low internet intake which is absolutely false i even asked my friends and almost all of them agreed that they hated or were unsatisfied with their internet speed… I just hope that there is going to be near future solutions to this and that Google fibre might be introduced to Mauritius AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

18 February, 2016 at 10:35 pm