Theatre & Films Productions

Passing Motorcycle Practical Driving Test – Mauritius

Hello friends! Today a major milestone has been achieved as a road driver: Getting the license for Motocycle/Autocycle from Traffic Branch, Mauritius Police Force. I want to share with you some tips and advice which might be helpful to you.

Firstly, you need to complete the Oral Test.  You must buy your ‘Code de la Route’ book in order to answer a set of questions with the following aims:

• Your ability to read and understand traffic signs
  • Your knowledge of the rules of the road
  • Your Knowledge of traffic signals by Drivers and Police.

Then, you will have the ‘Learner’.

You need to take an appointment for a Practical Driving Test for Motocycle at ‘Casernes’ Port Louis, appointment section. You need to pay Rs. 500 first, then take the payment receipt and queue up to the counter next to take an appointment. Typically, you get test session 3 months from the day you have applied. Finally, you take the receipt with the date inscribed on it and prepare yourself well for the test, which according to the Road Traffic Aim aims to assess your competency to drive your Motor vehicle on:

• Starting off
  • Changing up and down of gears
  • Turning Right and Left hand corners correctly
  • Stopping at various speeds
  • Giving of signals while driving
  • Making a right hand turn and a left hand turn in reverse gear and back the vehicle into an indicated position
  • Turning the vehicle round so as to proceed in the opposite direction
  • Stopping, holding and starting the vehicle on a gradient.

The test is in two phase:

1. Serpentine Ride (

2. Road Test

Well, me personally, being a tech-savvy guy, I looked for youtube videos which could help me understand drive through the challenging ‘Serpentine test’:

Then you have to practice this with an experimented Moto Driver guiding you to drive slowly in between water bottles, simulating the real traffic cones:

Checklist:

1. Payment receipt for rendez-vous
  2. Your current driving license with the Oral Test passed, of course
  3. National ID Card
  4. Insurance Cover
  5. Motocycle in good condition. The licensing officer will check the different parts of you moto (flasher, brake/front lights, insurance vignette, declaration etc.)
  6. ‘L’ – big ones attached one in front and other in back
  7. Helmet, of course
  8. Two Photo Passports

Tips

• Always put the lights on whilst driving. Failure to do so will result in offense
  • Use flasher and hand signals as required during the road test
  • Pay careful attention during the road test concerning the ‘famous’ No Entry Trap
  • Practice a lot the ‘slow ride’ test

If you put your foot down in the Serpentine Test, you get one change to restart. However if you commit the same mistake, you fail and won’t do the Road test. In this case you have to take another appointment. This test is carried out in the ‘Basketball field’ at Casernes. The longest motocycle is taken first in order to get the distance in between the Traffic Cones.

In the road test, if you fall into the trap (no entry or not giving signals etc.), you fail to get you Motocycle driving license, despite you passed the Serpentine Test. In this case, you have to take another appointment.

IF YOU PASS, the Licensing officer will congratulate you and give you some nice advice about driving Motocycles in the Mauritian Roads:

• be very careful whilst driving on the road
  • wear fluorescent jackets whilst driving at night
  • If you do not pay declaration/l’assurance and get caught, your Driving license get suspended straight away

Then you will get a Driving Certificate Form whilst you will wait to get the new Driving license, which you will have to fetch at Casernes after around 2 weeks..

Bonne Route and all the best to New Drivers!

Advertisements

26 responses

1. Nice post! I’ve been wondering about the procedures to get a motorcycle driving license for a while. This pretty much clears things out 🙂

25 October, 2012 at 4:55 pm

2. martijnbuikema

Hi Ashesh, first of all; thank you very much for this post! Secondly, I’m quite nervous as I have my practical test on the 21st of October 2013 (next week). Quite some friends have made me scared of the serpentine drive. I’ve been practicing it for some time and I can manage having the water bottles at a distance of 2.20 meter. Do you think that is good enough??

Please let me know. Thanks.

16 October, 2013 at 9:23 am

• hi Martijin!

well, you have to practice the real distance between your motocycle’s first and last tyre…

17 October, 2013 at 7:09 pm

• pravin

yes is good to la roue devan to fair li pass pre r priemier corn corn la pou to capave fair 2em corn lerla 3em vine facil

25 June, 2015 at 9:41 am

3. Hi Ashesh, and to anyone else who is in the pursuit of a motorcycle driving licence. Today I failed, even though the space between the pions was pretty oke. My test was scheduled at 13:30, the actual start was 15:30. I was present at 12:20; I suppose all the waiting made me hungry and nervous. Anyways, the following is additional info what I learned today:

1. Come with an original bike; they won’t accept modified bikes. Mine is modified and after the inspection of 3 police officers they decided; korrek. I was lucky.
    2. Bring a sandwich.
    3. You can drive your bike in the barrack and park it behind the traffic branch building. There you need to be at the first door at your right.
    4. If you’re only English speaking, they’re happy to translate.
    5. Concerning the 2 big L’s; just make some holes in the sticker and attach it too the front and back; doesn’t really matter how it looks. I had some plywood. The most however, just had that sticker hanging on a rope.
    6. Bring a small bike; if you have the longest, you will have a really hard time to pass the serpentine test.

Good luck!

21 October, 2013 at 4:40 pm

• Hi Martijn!

Continue your practice, I hope you paid for another test session.

For the Big L also, the police officer can tell you to go buy new one from a close shop nearby if in case, your L is not OK.

22 October, 2013 at 2:40 pm

4. Viade

The motorcycle isn’t on my name and insurance cover , is it important?

28 August, 2014 at 9:28 pm

• riad

no problem,just get the insurance for that day to yr name

18 March, 2015 at 9:37 am

5. Parvesh

hi i will do a practical test tomorrow…1 question on my mind…..what will be the distance of cone for the serpentine test?? i have a Honda 125cc…how actually they will calculate the distance of the cone??
    thanks 🙂

24 September, 2014 at 5:00 pm

• Hi Parvesh. It will be the distance between the two tyres of your Honda. or between the two tyres of the largest motocycle present during the test.

8 October, 2014 at 8:23 pm

6. Layman Refused

Hi there!

Thanks to all of you for the info.
    I have gone for the test a few months ago and failed 😦
    I just have a bit of additional information concerning the serpentine test.

When I went for the test, there were mostly 125cc bikes and a few 150cc bikes.
    What the examiner did was to separate us into two groups according to our engine capacity.
    He adjusted the distance between the cones for the 125cc bikes and they took the test.
    When they were done, he adjusted the distance between the cones for 150cc bikes and they took the test.

Hope this helps.

27 January, 2015 at 3:56 pm

• Hello..Thank you for the info. this is something new.
      All the best for your next test. Do practice the Serpentine Test well..

28 January, 2015 at 10:23 am

• Oh… that sucks for the ones who come with a small bike. I my case they took the longest bike and used the length of of that bike (the front to back wheel) to put the pions. Thus it used to be very easy for the ones who came on a smaller bike.

27 March, 2015 at 11:40 am

7. Mujhahid Khetoo

Hi, for the test is it necessary to bring a 125cc motocycle?

3 February, 2015 at 5:43 pm

8. Clarel

Hi all, I Have a 150cc Bike, semi sport one, and heavy. My bike measure 2 meter long. My test is scheduled in 2 months.
    I practice the serpentine since 3 days now, with six bottles of water at 2.5 meter each, and it’s very difficult.

The bike is heavy, so I can’t ride at low speed (6-8 km/h) without putting my feet down, but I managed at 9-10km/h, but of course very difficult.

*Can someone have some tips for heavy bike with limited steering degrees?

3 April, 2015 at 4:38 pm

9. akshayhurree

Hi, i don’t know much about laws in mauritius. Can i ride a motor bike of 150cc with learner?

Thanks.

8 May, 2015 at 11:18 pm

• Hello Akshay,

Yes. Me personally i brought my 150cc moto to the test..

18 June, 2015 at 2:41 pm

10. Abid

Hi, got test in 2 weeks, moto is not in my name. What is needed to get that one day insurance on my name?

6 September, 2015 at 3:36 pm

• Cla

17ans to Kpv tir license, mais to bizin amene to parent ar toi, pou al fer ban demarz labas. ek enplus to pas pou gagn liciense pou motor 100cc a monter , to pou gagn pou 50cc, Pou Scooter li exactement mem test ki ban les zot motor vitess. sauf, to licience pou seulent vitess automatic ( Scooter) .

11 February, 2016 at 11:06 am

11. Guilleaume

Hii, can I drive a Kawasaki Ninja 300 with a learner? For the “L” sign of what size should it be?

5 November, 2015 at 8:53 pm

12. Steven Derman

As a pure English speaker the police officer conducted my test in English and it was fine. There was some hanging around at the beginning for checking of documents but once done it went smoothly. They did take biggest bike, a honda150 to set cones out and then added a little the policeman then actually asked everyone if he was being fair. There were at least 30 of us there. He then checked our bikes. Lights, horn etc. one bike failed the test. They left. Then we did serpentine every one was ok. We hung around again until practical started. It was ok as we were all watching drivers doing reverse as a distraction. Then we were called out and told to ride down road make a right turn at a sort of lamp post in the road and come back again. . Here is the no entry trap. To get back to where start need to stop bike switch it of and push it across road. One guy didn’t so failed. Also when making hand signals make sure you exaggerate a little so they can see them . They show you what they want anyway. So I was there for 9.00am and left about 12.noon. Happily I passed as did nearly all so in my view you have to be careless or not practiced to fail. Compared to test in UK it’s quick and less demanding, there they take you out on the road and follow you on bike with intercom. So consider our selves lucky here. Good luck you all,

5 January, 2016 at 7:32 pm

13. jason

mo enA 17 ans mo ena learner motocycle mo ti envi cne si mo kav tir license sa lage la????

16 January, 2016 at 12:31 am

14. LUVIsh

Guys .. what about the scooter license ? Could somebody please enlighten me ?

11 February, 2016 at 2:13 am

15. Cla

Moi ti aller lor ene Derbi 150cc, Gidon la pas tourne net. Mone bizin pratik bcp cone. Longeur mo moteur plus 200cm, Kan mo ti al lor test li presK mem distance. longeur mo motor + 150-200cm. li aC difficil.. 1er cou mo fer cone, mone failed, ena 1 second change. lor second la. mone resli fer li, mais avc difficulter. lol. mais resli correct.. test la route la. sa facil net. bizin stop avant la linge blanc, srti get deux coT, aller, double machine , tir flasher, ek tir la main, retourner, pouse li pied enbas, get derier, tir flasher, tir la main, retourner. tir flasher ek la main sign arrete, arrette avan no entry, switch off motor net, pouC marC entre dan no entry. passed 🙂

11 February, 2016 at 11:14 am

• congrats clarel!

11 February, 2016 at 1:21 pm

16. Naweed joomun

Bnjr…tou le monde…..mo ti envi konE si la loi autocycle pou changer jusq’au 2017 feb?

13 May, 2016 at 8:53 pm