Theatre & Films Productions

Welcome to University of Mauritius, freshers 2010/2011

7 years have gone in the routine life of:

5.00 am: beepp, wake up and get ready for school

7.00 – 8.00am: Travel (transport gratuit)

8.00a – 2.30pm: 8 or 9 study periods according to the school timetable

2.30- 3.30: Travel (or kasse ene poz lor lagare)

4.00-5.30 or 3.00 – 4.30: Tuition

5.00 – 6.00: Travel back home

6.00-8.00: Home – relax, dinner, news on TV

8.30 – 10.30: Homework

and so on until Saturdays and Sundays come where still you avoid going to Weddings or other events, why? because of Tuitions!

But now that you have secured admission at the Prestigious University of Mauritius, I would like to wish you a Warm Welcome to this new world! Believe me, when I remember the above mentioned routine college life (me it was more tough since I was competing for State Scholarship, euhh which i won finally :)), I get sick, because it was a life characterised by No Freedom, you are programmed to do this and that at particular time. You keep focused on passing either the school exams or the A-Level, O-Level papers. Freshers 2010/2011, congrats, you are now leaving this boring, dull routine life for a more exciting one, for a more dynamic and challenging one: That of University Student Life! Welcome to the Club guys/ girls!

Let me guess: You must be between 17 to 19 years old, you spent a great college life between friends and few girlfriends/boyfriends here and there, you have worked hard for your A-level and looking forward for further studies instead of entering the world of work directly, and finally you chose University of Mauritius. If so, please read my previous blog post for freshers 2009/2010 and this article is a continuation of that. Similarly, other interesting blog posts related to UoM include: Video Editing Skills for University Presentations, Prof Konrad Morgan: Vice-Chancellor at UoM, UoM- Money-making institution?, Go: Final exams in May, TNT Express, Ceridian, Acca, Active societies on the UoM campus and many more

So here we are, I have been sharing the goodness of being a University of Mauritius student on this blog of mine since 2007. My final semester to go and final exams, as from next year, I don’t know on what will my blog be focussed on? maybe on freelance web developer or Apple fanboy…Anyway, i will revisit the blog posts in the UoM category with great nostalgia, that’s for sure. To all the readers out there, it has been a great pleasure reading your comments and replying to them. I hope that even after University, I will still be blogging on something that interests you and your curious mind.

A few pieces of advice for Freshers 2010/2011:

New University Life

Firstly say Goodbye to the teen years spent in teacher-student relationship. You are now going to embark into a more mature relationship between Lecturer-University Student, and that one is totally different, yes, you can believe me. Lecturers don’t give home tuitions or any spoonfeeding attitude. Normally, they are bright academics with either a Masters degree or even Doctor or MPhil. Some are geniuses who talk in abstract language with you whilst others might be demanding ones requiring independent thinking on your part.

Secondly, your new study places: Classes and Lecture Theatres. These are not anymore the college classes where compulsory attendance is taken. Here, you are mature enough to choose by yourself whether you want to enter the lecture or spend your time in the library or near bassin-canard with friends. However note that UoM has implemented 80% compulsory attendance, failure of which can disqualify you to sit for the exams

For some modules with large cohorts, you will be going in very nice lecture theaters. Believe me there are only powerpoint and sometimes merely notes given to you to take. No longer is the time where your teacher used to explain the chapter to you very meticulously so that the only thing left is comprehension and ability to tackle questions. At university its different. Lecturers foster the culture of making you become independent of them, forcing you to go read books by yourself, go and understand the chapter by yourself. They only act as a Guide and not as a :

Breast Feeder!

Thirdly, Enjoy the modules that you are studying. You must choose a course which YOU WANT TO DO, and for which you are prepared to have a career in it. Study hard to earn this degree! However, don’t do like this:

Be disciplined. Don’t spend your university leisure time so much that you don’t put a balance with study time. By adapting to the new university life, you will realise that you have to practice sound Time Management.

and finally, meet new friends, they will be here with you for 3 years now, doing group assignments together and having fun together…

The first contact will be probably be made at the Orientation week from 2 to 6 August 2010, the dates being as follows:

Faculty of Engineering – Wednesday 4 August

Faculty of Law & Management – Thursday 5 August. (Maybe I will come on this day)

That’s all for now folks, for any more, please do not hesitate to jot down comments, it’s free and easy!

50 responses

1. YNK FC

Thanks for the advice!

After 8 months of holidays, it’ll be quite hard to get back to study again…

Just wanted some info on:

i) The student online system and the selection of modules; when do we have to do this?

ii) @ what time does lecture usually starts?

iii) What’s the average number of lecture hours per week?

23 July, 2010 at 7:09 pm

• yeps nandraj, holidays time over, back to studies…..

the student online system is for module registration and viewing your results transcript at the end of the exams. You will have to register for your modules by logging into the system ( and selecting the module for which you are to register for the first year. The system will automatically calculate the credits you will be taking.

A similar system exist for giving feedback on Lecturers, the information is then forwarded to the Quality Assurance office.

ii) lectures are allocated according to your time table, it might be as early as 9.00am or in the afternoon 2pm. it depends.

iii) again it depends on your course..don’t worry you might also have practicals to do in the laboratory

hope this helps

24 July, 2010 at 10:45 pm

• YNK FC

25 July, 2010 at 8:59 am

• ur welcome. and oh yes, you will also receive your email add for free and for whole lifetime. the mail is based in Google’s Gmail platform

25 July, 2010 at 4:51 pm

• YNK FC

Yes, I’ve already got my custom email add… and it’s on Google Apps…the great thing is that there’s Google Calendar and Google Docs, makes it easier to have all University related emails, timetables, exam dates, docs, etc in one place…and we can do backup of important documents on the Google Docs… Great…

But I wonder if this email will give access to all activities provided by Google Groups???

25 July, 2010 at 7:42 pm

• yes , Google Calendar and SMS reminders are amazing! i cannot live without planning my events on it…

25 July, 2010 at 10:26 pm

2. Konrad Morgan

Hello Ashesh,

As usual your blog is excellent and thank you for inviting me to leave a comment to welcome the new and returning students to UoM for the 2010/11 academic year.

Congratulations to the newcomers on their choice of UoM. From a wide range of options you have chosen what I believe to be the premier University in Mauritius. Graduates from UoM are recognised internationally for their skills and ability.

For those of you returning to studies this year a very warm welcome. I hope that you will notice some of the changes that I have started to introduce on campus with better lighting for improved safety, road safety measures and barriers, purified drinking water, a new car park to ease up congestion, first aid training and other related training for the security staff, watchmen and drivers. We do have a very limited budget at UoM so I often have to battle with various committees and outside organisations to try and get better facilities or to try and reduce fees (I am proud to have worked with the students union to get Council to reduce the penalty fees from 20,000 to 10,000 Rs – I would have liked it to be less but Council decided a 50% reduction was enough for now). I am hoping that very soon (if I am successful) you will start to see fresh paint on the buildings and Air Con starting to be installed in large classrooms.

I am very proud to be your VC and I try to listen to your comments, views and requests. However please remember there are over 10,000 of you plus 1,000 staff and many members of the public – all wanting to share their views with me or asking me to help them. So I tend to focus my consultation meetings with representatives from the students union and with the staff, technicians and academic unions to get a feel of the views from everyone. I trust you to send your views to your union representatives as it is their job to represent you. If you work out how much time it would take to spend 10 minutes (10 mins x 11,000 staff and students) with each of you and the staff and the many members of the public you will understand why sometimes it can take a couple of days before I can see you.

Also if you send me an email remember that I get over 100 major issue work related emails every day so again if you apply the basic math you will see that if I spend just 5 minutes reading each one it takes me many hours each day to deal with email. So if you contact me and it takes a day or so to get a response or one of my staff replies you can hopefully begin to understand why. However please know that I do read every email and letter even if I do not have time to reply myself.

So let me welcome you to a new semester and I hope that your studies will be enjoyable and will lead to the career of your dreams.

Good luck

23 July, 2010 at 7:19 pm

• Hello Prof Konrad!
      Glad to see you again on my blog, despite your busy schedule.

Glad to know also that you are determined to reach the level of the University by being amongst the top 20 in Africa. Hope to obtain the necessary support (financial especially) to be able to implement projects to achieve this.

We hope to see the new blood at the UoM administration forging leaders and capable personalities joining the labour market and having a strong push in their career by receiving world class quality education at the institution.

I am very grateful towards your dropping some comments to welcome the Freshers 2010!

Hope the new semester will be more fun and challenging as the previous ones…

24 July, 2010 at 10:49 pm

3. Inf

Always nice to see the VC of a university using the Internet to comment on university-related posts. It goes a long way to improve student-administration relationships. Not really surprising, considering the academic background of the new boss! :D

And the post is informative too. For univ. students, these ideas seem natural. Going to a lecture theater is daily life. But for freshers, it’s a radically different setup. Hopefully, this post will guide them through their first steps.

24 July, 2010 at 10:20 pm

• thanks for your comments Inf!
      hey I hear no news of how is it going?

24 July, 2010 at 10:32 pm

4. Nabiilah

Hello…Thank you for all the information that you have been giving us about life at UOM…in fact, i was kind of anxious about how am going to cope with the new atmosphere and the new arena of lecturers and new friends, but not anymore….and thank you for that…you’re doing a great job!!!

Its absolutely true that the endless holidays have almost succeeded in rendering me crazy…but the holidays are important, and believe me….this long holiday was the most enriching one i ever had…I’m much more mature, sensible, careful and calm; which i’m sure is going to help me later on!!!

I know that it’s going to be quite a difficult task to get used to the routine, specially the 1 hour travel, the cold weather of Reduit, which i hate because i’m too sensible in cold weathers…but i believe in myself…and that’s what finally counts….

Thanks to everyone who helped us new comers in being so much at ease with UOM…thnks to all those on Facebook equally!!!

26 July, 2010 at 12:26 pm

• hi Nabiilah, welcome to my blog! nice comment am moderating thnk u for that and keep visiting my blog!

ahh yes, holidays!! its a must..
      me am in holidays but have to work hard for dissertation :(

but will have fun for the Academic End of Year Party 2010!! :)

Again, Welcome to UoM. Glad to read my blog post is helpful

26 July, 2010 at 2:32 pm

• Inf

Not really having time to post new things nowadays…

Hopefully I’ll have some time to update GS soon.

Keep up the posts here… Will be checking. :)

29 July, 2010 at 2:55 am

5. khema

thanks for these helpful pieces of advices, i just hope that the atmosphere of uom is warm and pleasant especially towards the newcomers…

27 July, 2010 at 9:05 pm

• you think there will be ragging at UoM just like in Munnabhai MBBS or 3 idiots?!?

27 July, 2010 at 9:08 pm

6. Whao… what a strong (and truthful) view of University life !

it’s great to see Students maturing all the way. I must say that Ashesh was a very promising student in my Cyberlaw class and gosh ! He is beyond my expectation. Well done Ashesh.

To you all freshers, it’s time to work and party ! Do remember that this is a one in a lifetime opportunity… you are still have the safety and comfort of your parents but you are just having a real glimpse of real life! So, enjoy enjoy but do learn something out of it !

I have read the long original post and there are a lot of truth in that. Do not be misguided by the photos.. they are not actual photos of the university but it is up to you to make it similar ! heh heh heh

Good Luck everybody and have fun whilst learning something !

Me E. Tong Sam
    PT Cyberlaw Lecturer, Barrister-at-Law, I.T. Legal Consultant

30 July, 2010 at 7:49 am

• Hello Me Eddy!
      Thnks for this very insightful comment.

Amongst the lecturers met during uni life, your classes were the most creative and unique in the way the content were being delivered, specially for a ‘complex’ field like CyberLaw.

30 July, 2010 at 7:54 am

7. Varoun Jeewooth

Hello Ashesh,

First of all congratulations for such a great work, very nice blog I should Say.

Dear students,

You are very lucky to have such type of blog and the power of internet already gives you an idea of university life. When I used to be at the university for my undergraduate we did not even have a small glimpse of what university life is all about….

As Part time Lecturer at the faculty of law and management, I would like to welcome all freshers to UOM. You are really priviledged to be part of this great UOM family.. Life at the University will allow you to grow not only physically but psychologically and socially too. There is a great transition from school life to university life….but i am confident that you have the acumen to overcome all the challenges..time goes very fast the university and in no time you will be in your graduation gowns and dresses..

i wish you all the best. Those enrolled at the FLM, I may met you soon…

Varoun Jeewooth
    Part time Lecturer
    Faculty of Law and Management
    University of Mauritius

30 July, 2010 at 11:16 am

• Hello Sir!
      Welcome to my blog and glad to know you appreciate my blogging passion.

That’s true. time goes by very quickly. I still have to assimilate that the 3 years have been over at the UoM…… it has been the best moments of my life, after college life :)

30 July, 2010 at 11:27 am

8. Arjun

Hi Ashesh,

I wanted to know when the University is resuming (for postgraduate)… Can you help me on this buddy..?

3 August, 2010 at 8:37 pm

9. Ireena

Hello Ashesh!

I guess I’m not the first or last one to be telling you this, but that was a really very nice blog!

After being so wholly part of college days, I felt out of space right after the HSC results. Sure, holidays are the promise of Heaven. But now that they’re drawing to an end, I must say that I feel as if I have lost my balance. For so long have I clung to the security that the familiarity of college, schoolteacher & routine life offered, that now it’s like I’ve been robbed of my backbone. Everything is new, alien. I don’t know what to expect or even how to react, to respond to anything!

But your blog has certainly reassured me, believe me. I knew that this ‘out-of-space’ feeling was linked to this period of transition, with not really much clear of a bearing or direction… But it felt great to read that my state of mind is mutual to all university freshers… A hearty thank you, therefore!

Keep the writing up & I’ll keep checking! :D

4 August, 2010 at 9:05 pm

10. dharam gokhool

Welcome 2 Freshers

Hi Folks! Welcome to the Reduit Campus.Congratulations!

Thnkx 2 Ashesh 4 giving me this opportunity 2 make a post

Am sure 4 many of u,it’s a dream come true.Not yet. Its just the beginning of yet another exciting journey and my wish is that u enjoy every second u spend on Reduit Campus.These days r very precious and will not come bk

First things first.Be a model student.In yr studies,learn 2 share;group work will take u very far..Don’t just barge into yr Lectures.Prepare and do some spade work.Participate,don’t just sit bk.Fight yr timidity.This is the time.Don’t miss it.Expand yr horizon.Make friends.Be connected with news n events.

Think global Act local Be a global citizen

Joke,smile n relax.Combine yr studies with some fun.Some social work

If u hv a bright idea,push it forward.Learn to lead,don’t just follow.

When time comes 2 take leave of UoM,u must leave with a family feeling.For a lifetime,u must say 2 yrself I BELONG 2 this place.

And finally…..aim for the moon;even if u don’t reach it,u will land among the stars Welcome on board and enjoy the journey

dharam gokhool

6 August, 2010 at 3:22 pm

• Hello Prof Dharam Gokhool!
      Welcome to my blog and thank you for commenting.
      It feels a great priviledged to have the past Minister of Education commenting on a UoM student blog, improving the quality of the blog.

I had listened to your speech for the FLM Orientation day. was pretty impressed as unlike others, you talked on “Personality development”. I agree with you that students should not only become independent learners but also develop their personality during this 3 years at the Reduit campus.

and finally, you are definitely right whilst commenting:
      “aim for the moon;even if u don’t reach it,u will land among the stars”

this had been my motivating quote since I was at MGI. I can still remember it written in bold in our Notice Board, done by Mr. Sanjeeva Appadoo who is a prominent teacher and initiator of Calligraphy Club.

13 August, 2010 at 5:29 am

11. Irfaan

What a great post!!

7 August, 2010 at 6:55 pm

12. Kevin

nice blog ashesh, keep it up
    am a second year student of the faculty of engineering. Believe me friends this is the most golden opportunity to join the uom. we one of the best here, the student, staffs n lecturers r just too good. nice environment. fr me personally wen am at uni is like my second home. but plz 1 advice from my part. do balance your study time and leisure time as may be sometime too late to cope with the cpa :P lol

12 August, 2010 at 7:14 pm

• hello kevin! welcome to my blog.

yeah u rightly said : sometimes it might become too late to cope with CPA.

I hope that UoM Freshers have obtained adequate information on what is CPA during the orientation day

13 August, 2010 at 5:34 am

13. Pingback: Happy 3rd Blog-Birthday and Merry Christmas! « :: Ashesh R – Blog ::

14. Pingback: Mission Uni blogging – Successful « :: Ashesh R – Blog ::

15. pooja

i just got my hsc results and i want to know when is the open day for year 2011.

8 February, 2011 at 12:36 pm

• Hope u good HSC results, congrats for passing the exams. check out regularly or join the group newcomer at uom on facebook pooja. all the best!

8 February, 2011 at 7:56 pm

16. Pingback: MGSS/RTSS bags 4 laureates « :: Ashesh R – Blog ::

17. tegally mushiirah

hello out there.
    thank you for for all the interesting infos. its now that am discovering it given t that am not a computer worm :P.

i believe yr blog will be of interesting help to the future new comers.
    thank you.
    uni life r miles apart from college days. i gt to travel long hours. but i believe that results are gng to b worth it.
    i love UOM THE FANTASTIC LECTURERS OF Ba(Hons) English, the atmosphere of FSSH above all the amount of independence that i gt to show throughout my stay here.

keep updating more n will definitely check it out :)

18 May, 2011 at 10:01 pm

• Hello, how you are doing you teach English (HSC)?

8 August, 2015 at 9:47 am

10 August, 2015 at 12:55 pm

18. kalim

i wud like to know when will i have a reply from uom? Because already applied in March 2011 and some of my friends have already their seats confirmed. And also how will I know whether my application letter reached UOM?

5 June, 2011 at 12:05 pm

• Hello Kalim, Welcome to my Blog.

Well, you will normally have applied online for admission at UoM. And if you have received a seat (depending on your HSC results), you will surely get your offer letter in coming days.

Otherwise, if you have not received a seat, you won’t receive any acknowledge (like email or letter) to inform you of your application status.

5 June, 2011 at 3:59 pm

19. Pikpak

Hi Ashesh!

I have become nostalgic about my orientation day after reading your blog. Uni life had seemed to be an ordeal for me – no college friends, no tuition, no spoon-feeding, traveling 5 hours per day, getting up early, among others. Now, I think uni life was second best after college life. Making new friends, coping with the challenge, the thrill of doing group work, working for many nights on without sleep, etc. made me feel so grown up!

However, I do regret some of the precious moments that I have whiled away when I could have instead improved my results and made myself more competitive in the labour market. Indeed, I now feel the pain of regret; I wish I could bear the pin of discipline.

I hope uni students read your blog and keep in mind things which kept slipping out of my mind.

10 June, 2011 at 10:13 pm

• hi!
      Indeed. one should enjoy student life whilst putting hard work studying also. Its necessary to your which level your academic performance is and give your best shot in studies.

10 June, 2011 at 10:21 pm

20. Deeksha

i want to know the orientation day for faculty of humanities??????????:O

10 July, 2011 at 11:48 am

21. Jezz Aero

Good job Ashesh!

Thanks for da support and info/news about UOM

It was very instructive and clear.

Keep it up!

16 July, 2011 at 6:59 pm

22. priyanka gungadin

thnx for the welcome n advice.really cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

21 July, 2011 at 8:22 pm

• all the best for your studies Priyanka!

21 July, 2011 at 8:29 pm

23. ashna

i’ve applied a week ago for a seat at UoM. i was wondering when exactly would i receive an answer if i’m qualified for the course.

26 February, 2012 at 10:41 pm

• Hello potential UoM Student.
      Well, there is an online application kit on website to help you deduce whether you are qualified for your course applied. The calculation is done purely on your results (SC + HSC)

All the best with your application…

6 March, 2012 at 6:04 am

24. shivesh

hi Ashesh,

I think you’re doing a great thing in blogging about student life in Mauritius. Not only it gives an idea to students what to expect from university life but it is a great way of online communication to students in the same university. However I do have one small suggestion; I think it would be great if you could put a more personalized touch in your posts like relating our student life on a mauritian aspect to the whole world; like how our intertwining cultures make our learning experience more enriching when collaborating collectively.

Cheers and keep up the work!!

2 October, 2012 at 2:00 pm

• Hello Shivesh, Welcome to my blog…
      Thank you for your is taken into consideration in my future blog posts…

2 October, 2012 at 2:13 pm

25. amreen

hi i just want to know how uom calculate the cpa? for bsc maths with cs how many credits should i get 2 get a first class?

17 October, 2012 at 2:43 pm

26. Didier Bernard

Just want to know if reseats modules increase CPA…

29 November, 2013 at 9:45 pm

27. zaheer

could you please help me
    you know i applied for undergraduate courses in march 2014 but i have not receive any letter till now whereas my friends got theirs…
    i called to the uom 2day for verification they said that i am on waiting list plz wait for the second batch…
    i just wanted to know what does that mean? does it mean that i am selected??
    please help!!!

2 June, 2014 at 4:54 pm

• Hello Zaheer,

I hope by now you must have got more clarifications from UoM concerning your application..

All the best for your studies and future career…

21 August, 2014 at 9:46 am